x2y Youth Group has been supporting LGBT young people in Wolverhampton and the surrounding district for more than 10 years. In the past we have been part of other organisations, first Base 25 and then Terrence Higgins Trust. In October 2014 we set up as an independent organisation and we have now become a charity (CN1162589). We depend on grant funding and support from individuals and organisations. We need you to help us raise enough money to keep this hugely valuable service running.
Why is the group needed?
LGBT young people are a vulnerable group who are at risk in a number of ways. Research by Metro in 2014 Youth Chances found that:
- LGBTQ young people face disturbingly high levels of abuse and violence
- Nearly 1 in 10 LGBTQ young people have had to leave home for reasons relating to their sexuality or gender identity
- LGBTQ young people report significantly higher levels of mental health problems including depression and anxiety, self-harm and suicidal thoughts
- Trans young people face the greatest levels of disadvantage and report lower overall satisfaction with their lives
How can you help?
There are several ways you could help:
- A monthly standing order, just a few pounds will make all the difference [Download a standing order form HERE]
- Pass on a standing order form to anyone you think might be able to help
- Ask your workplace to sponsor us as a charity of the month
- Run a fund-raising event
What’s in it for you?
- A monthly standing order is a practical REAL way to truly help, together we really can do this, you can feel proud of making a real difference
- For your workplace it is visible and obvious statement of their commitment to LGBT equality and evidence of their corporate social responsibility
- A monthly standing order will create the foundation stones of our organisation, enabling us to develop our support for LGBT young people
- We would be happy to acknowledge you or your workplace on our website